Friday, October 18, 2013

Three Down Three To Go

Sunday, we went ahead and tried to have Dolce bred.  It turned out to be a mess.  We brought her to another farm to be bred after I knew she was in standing heat, but at first the buck scared her.  Then, when she was finally interested in him and he was a bit calmer the buck wouldn't do the job.  We got 2 breedings out of the whole mess and neither of them were even very convincing. We thought maybe she was on the end of her heat cycle and that was why the buck lost interest, but sure enough the next day she was still in crazy standing heat.  I decided to just put her with Mocha.  Now I'll have to get DNA tests to see who the dad is, but I doubt it's the other buck since he barely covered her.  Mocha at least got 4 really nice breedings in.  Not bad for a 7 month old!
We must be the worst at setting goats, but this is Dolce
Country Charm's Mocha















I was hoping to avoid breeding Dolce to Mocha because of him being unproved, but I guess we'll see what their kids turn out like..  This will be Mocha's last breeding for the year, since I had already made a deal to do a driveway breeding on my other three does. Poor guy will just have to spend the rest of fall with his buddy doodle.


Smarty (they white goat) and Sparkles are also bred to Mocha and are already pregnant.  They didn't come into heat this week so that's now set in stone.  Smarty is due February 24th and Sparkles is due the 21st.   I also already have have people on a waiting list for their kids!



The next goat to be bred will be Pauline.  Then it'll be Ally and Karamel's turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment